Position at Carolina CAT - Construction
This position is responsible for overseeing and delegating work in the main shop. Ensures repairs are performed to the customer's satisfaction. Removes, installs, diagnoses, repairs, disassembles, assembles and performs failure analyses of equipment and attachments including engines, hydraulics, and transmissions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure safe behaviors are standard in repair operations and address hazards or potential hazards as needed, while maintain 6S compliance.
- Promptly, at start of shift, review work schedule, assign jobs to appropriate technicians, assign a bay or repair location and confirm supplies required to perform the work scheduled are available
- Ensure accurate troubleshooting and diagnostics are performed, review service documents and product improvement and support programs, and serve as the primary point of contact when TC intervention is needed (Dealer DSN)
- Gatekeeper to ensure quality control is achieved by inspecting and testing post-repair equipment and performing a quality check as work is completed
- Communicate changes in job scope/quote to Service Supervisors/Coordinators
- Participate in Performance Management of Technicians as well as mentor/train technicians as assigned and as needed to ensure fluid teamwork and flow of work
- Maintains productivity at pre-determined levels.
This position has limited supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications & Competencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Functional knowledge of key operating systems: DBS, ServiceLink and MDS
- Expert knowledge of critical CAT applications: SIS, ET and Dealer DSN
- Functional capability with Microsoft Office suite of application
- Expert troubleshooting skills (Electrical, Hydraulic) and expert use and application of all Caterpillar diagnostic tools, electrical and electronic system applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the application, operation, repair and function of Caterpillar equipment and engines.
- Exceptional problem-solving techniques and knowledge of repair options for Caterpillar machines, engines, and components.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with Technicians, Supervisors/Coordinators and support employees
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with customers
- Effectively communicate in various environments and settings through multiple channels
- Create safe, positive work environment for employees.
- Ability to train and mentor less experienced Technicians and lead a team
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
- where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Business Acumen
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Understanding of interdepartmental relationships and lead outcomes across departments
- Familiarization with financial definitions: GP & PBT
Key Performance Metrics
- Recordable Incident Rate
- Technician Productivity
- Rework %
- Service Report Completion Rate
- Labor Overage%
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years direct CAT Service Technician experience or 10 years industry Technician experience in heavy equipment
- Acceptable level of safety, rework, productivity in prior roles *Internal Applicants*
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- A valid driver's license
- Must complete the in-house forklift-training program.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Standard Work Requirements
Scheduling & Dispatching (Productivity & Employee Engagement)
- Ensure all technicians are scheduled for the following day
- Maintain 50% billable hours each day
Job Preparation & Safety (Employee Engagement & Safety)
Communication (Customer Loyalty)
- Sign-off on Pre-Work Safety Inspection for each job in conjunction with the Technician
- Audit all Lock Out /Tag Out procedures completed correctly
- Make sure that Technicians are wearing proper PPE
- Review work order with Technician, explain scope and time & parts quoted
- Check and communicate any warranty repairs to the assigned Technician(s)
- Ensure daily compliance with 6S & Contamination Control checklists
- Provide daily repair status update to Supervisor/Coordinator
- Notify Supervisor/Coordinator immediately upon repair completion
- Develop any additional parts lists beyond what was originally quoted, and what are necessary to complete rebuild
- Ensure that no additional parts / repairs are begun without prior customer approval
Work in Process Management (Last Labor to Close)
- Ensure all parts being used on repairs can be claimed to warranty or have been authorized by the customer for replacement
- Update ServiceLink with issues and concerns daily
- Ensure that all Service Reports completed, cores and parts returned
- Ensure parts, warranty parts & cores are returned to parts department within 2 days
Quality Control (Customer Satisfaction, Technician Productivity, Profitability)
- Review SQDC boards with Manager/Supervisor, and ensure being updated and anomalies are handled
- Conduct post-repair inspection with technician for every repair
- Conduct rework root cause review with Technician, Supervisor and/or Manager
- Conduct machine/component inspections during repair process
- Conduct post work review meeting with Technician, Supervisor and/or Manager
Location: Charlotte, NC
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.